Disallowed Travel Claims by Federal Employees

Any federal employee who has traveled for work must submit his or her travel claim in accordance with administrative procedures prescribed by their agency. Unless the agency administratively requires the employee to submit his or her travel claim within a shorter timeframe, the employee must submit the travel claim within 5 working days after completing the trip or period of travel, or every 30 days if the employee is on continuous travel status.

But what happens if your claim is disallowed? Do you have any recourse?

Yes, you do. First, why the claim be disallowed in the first place…

The agency may disallow payment of a claimed item if the employee:

a. Does not provide proper itemization of an expense;

b. Does not provide a receipt or other documentation required to support the claim; or

c. Claims an expense that is not authorized.

If the agency disallows the employees claim for an expense, it will issue the employee a notice of disallowance, and pay the claim for those items that are not disallowed. The employee may challenge the agency’s disallowance of the claim by requesting reconsideration of the claim if the employee has additional facts or documentation to support his or her request for reconsideration.

To challenge a disallowed claim, the employee must:

a. File a new claim;

b. Provide full itemization for all disallowed items reclaimed;

c. Provide receipts for all disallowed items reclaimed that require receipts, except that the employee does not have to provide a receipt if the agency already has the receipt;

d. Provide a copy of the notice of disallowance;

e. State the proper authority for the claim if the employee is challenging the agency’s application of the law or statute;

f. Follow the agency’s procedures for challenging disallowed claims;

g. If after reconsideration by the agency the claim is still denied, the employee may submit the claim for adjudication to the GSA Board of Contract Appeals.



Add Comment